Re: (ET) E-15 Reverse relay Arcing

The E15 is a bit different than the E20. On the E20, reverse was made by using 4 contactors to reverse the polarity on the armature. They were in a push-pull arrangement so a failure couldn't blow the armature sky high. As a result, in reverse the tractor had less torque (due to the fact that the field was weakened since technically it is a compound-ish motor)

On the E15, reverse is controlled by using a single relay to reverse polarity on the field. A lot cheaper, but if the tractor is moving forward *at all* when you toss it into reverse you are going to get a relay-melting spark.

There might be a varistor that goes across the relay to absorb the sparks, or a capacitor. If so I'd bet it's blown.

Chris

Steve Caplan wrote:

Hi group,
        My E15 reverse relay arcs alot. I have burnt up two relays. They
were both used. Is this because they were old and probably not adjusted
properly or is there some other cause I should look for?  Can I expect it
to work if I order new relays from Bill? Can I expect to find them at a
local large electronics supply house?
                                                        Thanks in advance
for your help,
                                                        Steve