(ET) ET-15 w/ two directions - reverse & reverse

OK,
  Troubleshooting time - What's the typical cause of this?  It ran ok
yesterday and today for a while, but now it goes very slow backwards when
you run the control forward and normal backwards when control to reverse.
With the gearbox in neutral the motor spins reasonably fast - in reverse -
with the control forward.  I'm guessing solenoid contacts, but which one?
haven't had the panel off below the dash and I think that's where they are.

thoughts?

--joe
E-15 in Colorado