(ET) FW: Load tester for 6,8 &12 volt use.

This was on the EV List last year.....

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Smalley [mailto:joes worldfront com]
Sent: Saturday, October 26, 2002 12:25 AM
To: ev listproc sjsu edu
Subject: Re: Load tester for 6,8 &12 volt use.

A coat hanger with .093 wire will draw about 150 amps from a 12 volt
battery, 100 amps from an 8 volt battery or 75 amps from a 6 volt battery.
Parallel two or more to get more current.

Connect the coat hanger to some 6 gage or larger jumper cables and submerge
the wire in water. Don't use a plastic bucket. The hot wire can make it
leak.

Connect your voltmeter to the battery terminals of the battery under test.

Connect the jumper cables to the battery terminals.

Wait for a fixed amount of time (your choice on how far you want to
discharge the batteries) and read the final voltage.

Disconnect the jumper cables from the battery.

Record the voltage.

The bad ones show up pretty quickly using this test.

Joe Smalley
Rural Kitsap County WA
Fiesta 48 volts
NEDRA 48 volt street conversion record holder
joes worldfront com