RE: (ET) batteries

I believe that sulfating occurs ONLY after extended overcharging.  I can't
foresee any way
of forcing it to happen other than after significant boil-off.  The
battery is filled with
sulfuric acid diluted with water.  If you boil of some of the water, you
increase the
concentration of the acid.  As I understand it, if you keep boiling off
the water, eventually
the sulfuric has to go somewhere, and the plates are the highest surface
area thing near by.

The most common way for this to happen is when you have SEVERELY
un-matched batteries.  ET
equalization is done by over-voltaging the whole pack.  'Full' is about 7
V per battery (6 is
a nominal value that is really 'low', partially charged).  To equalize,
the ET charger puts
an average of 7.3 V or MORE per battery in order to bring any one bad
actor up, realizing that
when the charger is off, that 7.3 will drop back down closer to 7 V.  If
you have one battery
that can't come up, the rest of the pack keeps climbing, because the
charger only knows about
the average.  Look at the 'fuel' or volt meter.  The HIGH section is over
44V.  That's 7.33V
each.  If one battery has 'reversed' (gone negative) or is hovering at say
3V, you would be
putting 44-3 or 41V across only 5 batteries and each is seeing 8.2V!  Now
that's extreme,
because with one battery at 3V the ET charger will probably never be able
to bring the pack
to 44V in a reasonable amount of time.  I think GE counted on that.  There
may be other ways
of preventing sulfating, but if you are worried about it, make sure that
near the end of your
charge cycle that no single battery is getting more than about 7.5 or
7.6V, for any long period
of time.

BTW, when using a 'ball' type hydrometer, remember to tap the side of the
glass/plastic with your
finger to knock off any air bubble that might be stuck to the ball by
surface tension.  Air bubbles
can float a ball that might otherwise sink.

Larry Elie