From: Bob Murcek [mailto:rmurcek geisinger edu]
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2003 1:53 PM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) stuff

A guy at work says farmers in our area are starting to use this stuff:

http://www.iceban.com/What%20is%20Iceban.html

instead of calcium chloride partly because it doesn't eat wheels and
partly because it doesn't kill vegetation if it leaks.  He says "It's more
expensive than Calcium, but less than wheel weights.  I bought mine in a
55 gallon drum from a place in Carbondale, PA ( I think).  I believe I
paid about 355 dollars for it and I mixed it with 55 gallons of water.  I
think it was about 12 lbs/gallon before mixing with the water."

>>> Neil Dennis <wombat RealNS com> 1/24/2003 3:49:31 PM >>>
Yeah, the usual tire loading compound is calcium chloride, believe me it
is corrosive.  Eats the wheel rims - replaced two on big tractors this
year. {:-{

A JD 830, eh, I've got a 720 diesel 24 volt start.  One thing is for
sure, it teaches you to keep terminal connections clean.  You find the
dirty ones real quick, hit the start and the post melts. !!!

wombat