(ET) power regulator gets hot

I have the same type problem as stated earlier.
The power regulator gets extremely hot (probably red hot), even with the power disconnect OFF.  I have to remove a wire from a battery to stop it from happening.  On top of this, the control fuse (middle, #3) blows the second I put the power disconnect on.  To me, it means a short.   any suggestions of where to start the hunt?
At the same time the PTO Contactor blew and I ordered one from Bill Gunn

bill in Maine