From: ThompsonG DFO-MPO GC CA [mailto:ThompsonG DFO-MPO GC CA]
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 3:39 PM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: (ET) ZTR and articulated ETs

Hi
OK Guys as far as the ZTR goes. There are a couple of "reality checks
needed". First, If we tried to use separate rear brakes like the big
tractors do. Extensive work would be needed to fit brakes to the wheels and
hubs. Because like most lawn tractors the brake is on the tranaxle, second
you need two brake peddles, this would take as much fabrication as the rear
brakes. Second, to grab a stop a moving wheel would have to remove the
brake
switch, because ZTR won't work if the motor is stopped.
        A motor on each wheel, this is a cool idea but again you are really
starting from the ground up, and you would need to get a control system and
pair of motors that didn't mind full forward to full reverse. I know this
is
done but in terms of Electrac we talking major modifications. After all one
of beauties of the Ets is that they are simple.
        However, if somebody has a "junker" that they feel they want to gut
the electic's from and them make these modification. I would be real
interested in getting the plans.
        Has anybody give though to a articulated ET. Mounting a tranny and
motor at both ends two small hydraulic rams, a 36V pump a two speed
controllers would do it. It would pull like stink.
Geof Thompson B. Sc. CLS
No trees were killed in the production of this E-mail.
However, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.
Data Management Designer
Canadian Hydrographic Service
Central and Arctic Region
867 Lakeshore Road
Burlington, Ontario
Canada. L7R 4A6

Phone (905) 336-4698
Fax (905) 336-8916
E-mail Thompsong dfo-mpo gc ca <mailto:Thompsong dfo-mpo gc ca>