From: Phil Trice [mailto:pctrice purdue edu]
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 2:31 PM
To: Christopher Zach; SteveS; Elec-trak
Subject: RE: (ET) Solid state controls

Chris,
        I'm in agreement with most of what you said. What I would like
to achieve, and what I have found usefull in the past, is the
*functionality* of the hydrostatic transmission. Has anyone used the
Dixon ZTR mower, or one like it? They also use the hydrostatic
transmission,
but use two levers to control direction & speed of the rear, driving
wheels.
The front wheels are, in fact, uncontrolled casters. The net effect
(after a bit of a learning curve) is a very manuverable machine.
        One of my goals is to implement some of that efficiency of control
in
an electric tractor. Rather than hand controls, I plan to use a single
pedal
to control direction and speed. In another reply, David Roden (Thanks,
David)
referred me to the British-made 4QD controller. I checked it out on their
website, and it looks like it might be a very good solution for what I
plan.
All of the motors I'm using are PM type, so the controller will work
without
modification. The only thing I'm short on with this project is time-aren't
we all?

        -Phil Trice