RE: (ET) Battery Question

Sorry if this is a dupe.  It appears that the first attempt didn't make it
through.

On 16 Jul 2002 at 15:55, Hazen, Dwight L wrote:

> If he leaves the two
> batteries in parallel all the time they will discharge each other. This
> will cause a decrease in life of the batteries.

I have heard of this, but have never seen it happen.  It could be that it
actually is self-discharge, which occurs in every lead battery.  However,
AGM batteries (such as Optimas) have very low self discharge.  If kept
clean
and dry they can hold a charge for many months.  I have some rather
elderly
Hawker Genesis batteries here that have been sitting, untouched, for
almost
18 months.  An open circuit voltage test indicates that most are still
over
90% charged.

> Find the biggest battery that is rated for this service. In
> this case I would think Gel cells might be the way to go.

East Penn or Sonnenschein gel batteries are long lived but must be charged
carefully.  They can't deliver more than around 250 amps comforably, which
is a problem if they're expected to start the car.  Optimas are still an
excellent choice.  Hawkers would also be good.

The Optima group 31 deep cycle batteries are supposed to hit the market
late
this summer.  These would give excellent capacity, far more than he needs,
at a mass of about 60 lb each.

Before replacing the existing batteries, your friend should make sure he's
charging them correctly.  He may be undercharging.  Here are some Optima
charging guidelines from Bill Dube', a sort of Optima Guru from the EV
discussion list:

-- begin quoted text --

You can charge the battery at any sane current until the voltage reaches
15
volts. You hold the voltage at 15 volts and allow the current to taper off
to less than an amp. The battery is "fully charged" at this point. It may
not be completely equalized, however. To equalize the battery, you pass a
2.0 amp currrent (with no voltage limit) though the battery for one hour.

When the batteries are new, you want to do this equalizing routine every
time or nearly every time. It helps to open up the plates and bring the
battery up to full capacity. Also, the cells are "growing" in capacity and
may not be doing so equally. To prevent reversing a cell, you want all the
cells to be "full" each time and thus you must take extra care to be sure
that they are starting out equally charged.

In my opinion, as the pack ages, you probably don't need to do this
equalizing routine as often. The over-charge does accelerate aging to some
degree. I think the doing an equalizing charge perhaps once per week is
probably about right once the pack has 30 cycles or so.

-- end quoted text --

Keep in mind that Bill is talking about a battery pack for a road EV which
is used daily, so adjust his figures accordingly for a battery used only
occasionallly.

Me again.  To restore some of the capacity of chronically undercharged
batteries, your friend might try a long, slow equalization charge at about
1/2 amp with a voltage limit of 15.5 to 16 volts.  This can take as long
as
a week or two, and the batteries should be checked periodically to make
sure
they're not venting (gassing too much and releasing the gases from the
valves).

Cycle them a few times in succession, and charge again.  He may find that
the capacity comes up enough to work just fine.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all

thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.

Est. yearly US cost to safeguard Persian Gulf oil supply: $50 billion

Est. 2001 value of US crude oil imports from Persian Gulf: $19 billion
                                -- Harper's Index, April 2002