From: owner-elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu [mailto:owner-elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu]On Behalf Of Bob Murcek
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 11:36 AM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu; SolidTech qwest net
Subject: Re: (ET) Kid car idea

Joe,
Believe it or not that's how I came to buy an Elec-trak, i.e., I was looking for an alternative to the toys that I knew wouldn't work in my deep grass sloping yard.  My EV had been under water and I was afraid of the coarseness of the original control scheme anyway, so I substituted a "Scoota" controller from http://www.4qd.co.uk/ .  >From the kids' perspective it's a major success, but from my perspective it's a supervision nightmare!  I.e., I didn't realize that I was creating a "toy" that could push over my garage if the kids weren't careful.  So I think your idea of starting with something smaller and lighter is GOOD...Bob

>>> "SolidTech" <SolidTech qwest net> 6/25/2002 1:18:36 PM >>>
All,
  Hoping for some thoughts on feasibility (and refinement) of the idea of
making a "better than retail" kid car.  I know there's the plastic electric
vehicles you can buy at your local toy/department store.  They always seem a
bit pricy for the mostly plastic thing they are.  So...  I was contemplating
a simple go-cart style vehicle with 1/2/3 batteries, a controller, and an
appropriate motor.  I was checking in my shop and I have a 50 VDC nominal
motor (that came out of a 9-track computer tape drive made by DEC) and I see
there's various controllers on eBay.  Questions: Is that electric motor
(Ametek brand) even appropriate for the task?  What would be a reasonable
number/size of batteries?  What would be appropriate for a controller?

thoughts?
- - joe

Joseph Rock
E-15 & MagnaTrac Hydro 5000 in Colorado