(ET) Capacitor removal...

I thought I would give a brief description of an easier way I found of
removing the electrolytic capacitor from the ET charger before I leave for
vacation for a couple of weeks.

First, I got a GE motor-RUN capacitor, 4 micro-Farads, 660V, (I think the
330 and 440 are OK too) same rating, style, polarity (non) and vendor as
the
original, $4 and change at Granger.  Very cheap.

Problem; You can't get a socket or nut driver on the nuts because of the
two
straps on the electrolytic.  BUT....  do you really want to?

Solutions; 1. remove the charger.  Aw, that's a lot of work.

2. Get clever.

Deciding I'm lazy, I do #2.  I opened the main disconnect (don't take
chances), and used a 12" long drift-pin and 2 lb sledge hammer and made the
old capacitor shorter on both sides by half an inch.  That capacitor comes
out easy now.  Now you can get a nut driver on the clamp.

The new capacitor was 3/4" shorter than the old.  You could buy the right
clamp, but I forgot while I was at Granger.  Hmm... Yep, leave the old
clamp
and use enough plastic cable ties as needed to feel comfortable with the
cap
staying where I put it for a decade or so.  Don't even bother loosening the
nuts on the old clamp.

Put the timer and mesh cover back in place.

Charger works better.

Larry Elie