(ET) Re: Reverse Relay

this morning I ordered from Bill Gunn, the yoke and castor for my front mower wheel, plus pins for the mower arm.  thanks to a couple of you, I knew how to order from Bill;  account #, part# (though it was an outdated part number i gave him from the ET website parts).  However, then i engaged him in a problem discussion regarding my reverse relay.  He asked me first if it energized and I told him Yes.  Then, the second thing was the condition of the contact points and I said they were OK.

But thirdly, he mentioned that the lever handle needed adjustment.  i thought he said that when you shift, not down, but to the left, the relay should energize?!  He said that the lever might need adjustment because that usually is the case if one does not stop before going either into reverse or forward.  he said that this is bad for the switching.  i didn't get everything he said as i couldn't write fast enough!  so, i'm wondering if there was a how to adjust the lever on the website.

Also, the throttle assembly had to be tight?!

And finally, check the circuit board next to the reverse relay to see if the disk wire is deteriorated, which i believe he said was the last wire.  he said that the board could not be checked by normal person to see if it operates, but if the last wire showed discoloration, then it wasn't functioning.

Now, i'm sure most of you would have and could have followed Bill's explanations.  But I was hoping someone might shed some light for me on the above.  thanks

vince albrecht, cpa, mdiv
wva329 hotmail com
312.513.3281 cell