(ET) Brush issue...

You would think I had seen it all.  Nope.

One of my large diameter deck motors quit spinning.  I poped the cover,
unbolted the casting that holds the brushes and found a brush not touching.
The brush itself was not badly worn, and the springs seemed good.  A tap
poped the brush out where it belonged, and I re-assembled.  It mowed fine,
for a few hours, then I had a repeat.  It isn't working now, and I'm not
sure what the 'fix' is.  The graphite of the brush should be fine for a
lubricant, and everything seems to be sliding properly.  Any suggestions?

Larry Elie