RE: (ET) Re: Reverse Relay

Vince,

 If you look into the lever quadrant you will see a small metal lever sticking out that contacts the shaft handle. The only tine this micro switch metal lever should be touching the shaft is when it is in the reverse notch. Never, never put your finger into the notch and activate the reverse switching while the tractor is going forward. No need to tell you how I found out about this micro switch. Putting the lever into reverse while the motor is turning is hard on the reverse relay and your face as it hits the steering wheel.

The plastic disk that contacts the micro switches should be clean, do NOT use WD40 on the switches, again you do not need to know how I figured this out. Make sure the nubs have not worn down so that the switches are no longer making contact. The assembly is easy to remove through the accessory drop down panel from the battery side. Remove the screws and disconnect the Molex plug. I have had good success using canning jar wax on the plastic disk to make the feel of the lever smother. If the nubs are worn down as mine were, I was able to remove some washers to decrease the space between the disk and switches.  Use a volt ohm meter to check ever switch when you have the assembly out.

  Dwight

Dwight L. Hazen, Indiana University, UITS

Bloomington, In. 47408-7378 Phone 812-855-5367 hazen indiana edu

http://php.ucs.indiana.edu/~hazen/ Ham Radio wb9tlh arrl net

IP Phone 317.278.4014   Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.

But thirdly, he mentioned that the lever handle needed adjustment.  i thought he said that when you shift, not down, but to the left, the relay should energize?!  He said that the lever might need adjustment because that usually is the case if one does not stop before going either into reverse or forward.  he said that this is bad for the switching.  i didn't get everything he said as i couldn't write fast enough!  so, i'm wondering if there was a how to adjust the lever on the website.