From: Bruce Conner [mailto:bconner attbi com]
Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2002 4:28 PM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) Mower motor bearing replacement

I used a split bearing puller for mine, but even with application of
heat, several weeks soaking with penetrating oil, etc it wa a no-go.  I
actually BENT the center drilled pushing bolt (done on a lathe for
concentricity!).  My flanges were just rusted on too much.  Bill Gunn
said that happened on some occasions and said I should cut them off with
a dremel cutoff wheel.  Even with a cut all the way up one side, I had
trouble getting the things off.  And yes, indeed they were very rusty
inside.  So if you REALLY get stuck, you might have to get replacement
flanges, but do all these things that have been advised by others before
you go that route.  I bet 95% of the flanges will come off with enough
force.

Just another data point, it was the first time I hadn't been able to get
something like that off in my life.

Bruce Conner