From: Steven Naugler [mailto:snaugler earthlink net]
Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2002 3:07 PM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) Mower motor bearing replacement

I have done this technique of using a bolt screwed into the end of the
motor
shaft on 6 small diameter motors and 3 large diameter motors.  If a few
cases the flange came off very easily, but most of the time I used a press
because I had one available.

If you don't have a press you can use a wheel puller so long as you do the
following two things:

1.  Pull on the small diameter portion of the blade flange assembly.  If
you
pull on the larger diameter flange itself you could bend it.  If bent it is
unlikely you could straighten it out enough that your mower blade will run
true.  You may need a split bearing puller to reach around the flange.

2.  Make sure that the screw of your puller stays on the bolt.  Being
careful may be enough, but why don't you use a center punch and put a
dimple
in the center of the head of the bolt.  This way the little nib on the end
of your puller screw will have something to keep it centered on the bolt.

Steve Naugler
snaugler earthlink net