(ET) All by itself

A while back I wrote that my 12M will go forward or back when I push the
speed control, while I am standing beside the tractor. But only at 1 speed.
It had the different speeds when the seat switch was engaged. It still will
go by itself, but now I only get 1 speed even when the seat switch is
engaged. I don't think the problems are connected, but I am stumped.
I have the batteries hooked up according to the manual and and even
unhooked the lights. There are no other connections.
Does anyone have either of these problems?