(ET) Batteries

A battery lesson please! I have a new to me I-5. I know the batteries came used from golf cars. The batteries test with a SG of 2.2. But I find they have little power. If I put any draw on the motor (D1 or 2) The "fuel" gage goes into the red and I get very low speed. Am I looking at new batteries here or should I trouble shoot something else. Is the Specific gravity measurement a good indication of how strong the batteries are?
Thanks
John Briese
Southern MN