Re: (ET) Lights

Gary Woodard wrote:
> I have a couple GE 4350 sealed beam bulbs ( 60 watts at 36 volts ) that
> I mounted on "posts" which I inserted into the front
> fender mounts on my I-5. They were excellent for yard work lights.
> Plugged them into the 20 amp receptacle. I never used
> them for mowing, or anything, because they were mounted too high (6
> feet).  I don't know why something like that wouldn't
> work if you made a lower bracket that would allow opening the hood.
> These bulbs are for a 36 volt fork lift. They fit into a
> standard tractor light housing. I came across them years ago when I was
> upgrading tractor lights from 35 watts to 60 watts. I
> haven't checked lately to see if they're still available, but they
> should be. They were a standard. They seemed to have a good
> hour life. They were the only 36 volt bulbs of any legitimate use that I
> have found. There may be others available for fork lift
> use, however, that would fit into the front sockets.

First, where can I find 36V bulbs????  That might be the ultimate
solution.

Before reading this, though, I had been toying with the idea of getting
6 identical 12V bulbs and posts.  I would mount 2 bulbs each in the left
& right headlight sockets, and put the remaining 2 up on the console
(left & right).  I would then hook 2 headlight bulbs and a console bulb
in series for 36V and do the same for the remaining 3 bulbs, then hook
the left side set of 3 in parallel with the right side set of 3.  This
would solve 2 problems:

(1) Power in would be 36V, thus balancing the load on all batteries, and
(2) I would get dramatically more light output.  The original headlights
and console light are sadly dim.

Also, since one set of 3 would be in parallel with the other set, if one
bulb burnt out, the other set would still work.  Since the 2 bulbs at
the console would each be wired in series with each of the headlight
sets, it also has the added benefit of instantly knowing when a set of
bulbs has burned out.

-----

Regarding my original lights being out, yes, it turned out to be
corroded contacts.  I pulled the contacts completely off, and reseated
them, and suddenly all 3 lights came on.

--
 mailto:Jeremy Gagliardi com