(ET) first mow

Well, my snowplow worked great this past winter - we had no snow! But since I took so long to get the mower deck rebuilt, the grass took off. So this past weekend I finally did some real Elec-Trak work mowing the yard. Ahh! The front mount mower takes a bit of getting used to, but I like it. From what I have read, I was worried that the rear disharge mower wouldn't cut well in the long (and wet) grass. But it did a good job and rarely bogged down. I really like how easy cleaning out deck is!

Got a question though. I mowed in the higher of the two low gears and the elec-trak slowed a lot going up small slopes. Mower speed stayed about the same, so I think the batteries were up and I never went past mid-dial on the amp gage. One clue is that when I shift (this is an E12S) the speed forward from stop, I hear the click when I go to the 2nd position, but not to the 3rd position. I also don't notice a speed change between the 2nd and 3rd position. So I'm guessing I have bad connection somewhere. Coudl this be the cause of my lack of uphill power?

Thanks,

SteveS
E12S

BTW, the mower deck has an eerie bagpipe-drone-kinda sound - I guess from the small speed differences of the three motors. It's interesting. Reminds me of riding in multi-engine prop planes (long time ago).