(ET) EM12 Project

Hi
It is time to update the list on the E12M restoration project. So here a
quick-date and although it seems like a lot of work I have been breaking it
down into small chunks, doing it at my own speed when I have the time and
the incination. So, with the exception of a few small cuts and scrapes and
the odd sore muscle  it has just been a complete joy.
What I done so far
1.)     Complete disable tractor
2.)     Cleaned and re assembled "electics" on a test bench (pictures
coming)
3.)     Took major component to local sand blaster (frame, Panels)
4.)     Rebuilt rear battery box. (only a cost effective solution for
Canadian owners or people who already own Mig welders/ for the rest of you
buy I from Bill)
5.)     Stripped paint from all small parts with angle grinder with wire
wheel (this was surpassingly easy and fast,) I did in the backyard sitting
on a chair with the parts clamped in my trusty Workmate
6.)     Made up a complete list of restoration parts mainly trim parts and
sent it to Bill for a quote. (still waiting but it been less than a week)
7.)     Coated the Battery areas on the tractor with POR 15 (recommended by
a friend in the local Corvette club)
8.)     Built and loaded the frame on to a Don Barry Rotisserie, (fantastic
gadget Don, recommend this to anybody who asks)
9.)     Converted my garage onto a paint booth, Built a frame form my
camping canopy and cover the frame with 6mil plastic sheet ($7.00 for 1500
feet at Home Depot). Then covered everything else in the garage with the
plastic.
10.)     Purchase the Paint primer and reducer

Coming Up  (as soon as it warm up a bit)
1.)     Build a rack to hang small parts on for painting (using fishing
leaders and piano wire)
2.)     Prime all the small parts
3.)     Prime all the large parts
4.)     Prime rear battery box
5.)     Paint all small parts
6.)     Paint Frame
7.)     Paint panels (may farm this out to a spray painter friend)
8.)     Clean-up Wheel and tires, (they are in good shape so this is likely
just a wax and polish job)
9.)     Re-assemble tractor using stainless and replacing the Pop Rivets
with machine screws and lock nuts.

I have been and will be taking picture  though out the entire process.

Finally; take tractor to The Niagara Antique Power Association Show for the
First of July Weekend (Canada Day).

http://www.simplicityva.com/NAPA/Show.html
<http://www.simplicityva.com/NAPA/Show.html>

This year's theme is garden equipment and I will be setting up an Electric
Tractor area as I did last year.

More on this show to follow. You are all however, invited

Geof Thompson B. Sc. CLS
No trees were killed in the production of this E-mail.
However, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.
Data Management Engineer
Canadian Hydrographic Service
Central and Arctic Region
867 Lakeshore Road
Burlington, Ontario
Canada. L7R 4A6

Phone (905) 336-4698
Fax (905) 336-8916
E-mail Thompsong dfo-mpo gc ca <mailto:Thompsong dfo-mpo gc ca>