RE: (ET) field weakening with series-wound motors

I have been away from my e-mail for a few days, but I think a 'short'
description of what field weakening means and why are in order.

This is the way I recall the situation.  I hope I don't over simplify, but
I may.  DC motors (and to a very lesser degree, AC as well) have strong
issues with speed and field.  I am going to ignore issues of switching
position (for induction that's just phase angle) and speed, although they
are valid; variable high-speed motors actually change the switching
frequency to get to high speeds.  We can't do that.  If you think about
what determines the speed of a DC motor under no or light load, it is
largely due the reverse torque due to the field itself; at some speed the
field is doing about as much pushing as pulling of the armature.  The
designer has a catch 22; you want high field for high torque, but the
field itself will limit the speed at low torque.  One fix is to include
multiple windings, with a winding to match the torque/speed requirements
of any load. That's always a good idea.  It's a stepwise improvement (hard
to do 1.3 windings without some external circuitry) b!
ut it works.  You also are very limited because there is only so much
real-estate to use in the field of the motor for more combinations of
wire.  To make the area bigger requires more iron, mass, and so on.  So
you end up with a compromise.  Field weakening gives you the equivilant of
another winding(s), without adding the space for another winding.

I think that description is fair.

That said, you can indeed do all sorts of things to reduce the field, but
all MUST lower the AVERAGE current to the active winding(s) in the field.
PWM circuits are very nice for this as they don't throw away too much
power to heat (FET's are ON or OFF almost all the time) and the average
current is just the duty cycle.  You just have to make sure the field
never gets very close to zero while current is still in the armature--
ever.

Larry Elie