(ET) ET Charger modification

Hello All:

Finally taking the plunge from 2 12v marine batteries to 6 6volt golf
cart batteries and wish to protect my investment by charging them
properly.  From the comments in this group the ET mounted charger isn't
the greatest but is it worth it to get a special charger to 'float' and
'equalize' charge it. I do have a large wattage variable resistor in
line which approximates a float or equalize charges(not exactly constant
voltage).  Has anyone designed a microprocessor add-in to the transfomer
which refines the charging qualities of our 'big iron' or am I overly
concerned about this.
-ET on a shoe string operator
Dick Both Owen Sound Ontario Canada