RE: (ET) Question about big GE motors

This one is a bit long.  I have done this, and it can be made to work.

The easy way?  Find a tiller and lift.  Bill will sell you one, and the
cost isn't the killer, the shipping is.  I have one now, and it is the
BETTER solution.

If you want to work hard...

I converted a Sears 32" wide tiller from a garden tractor.  Sears (and
Ariens) used to use a separate 7 or 8 Hp (depending on year) engine on the
rear mount tiller.  The mount was a category 0 three point hitch with a
manual lift.  I took the back frame from a Sears 12Hp tractor, and
mounted/braced a setup to fit 1/4" or 5/16" plates that slide into the
frame.  You also need a lock to keep it in place.  The bad thing was the
tiller was 3' behind the back axle, and the lift handle was almost out of
reach.  I needed weight on the front just to steer; I ended up leaving the
mower deck on to work.  So imagine the deck, tractor and tiller all at
once; I think the rig was 12 or 13' long!  I had to come up with a height
adjustment too; I used an adjustable block on the hitch.  I left the 8HP
engine in place.  It worked.  I could have used a snow-blower motor and
gotten away with it, but it really was a bit ugly.  The positive thing was
I can now mount anything with a category 0 hit!
ch on the ET.  You are better off with a ET tiller.

Larry Elie