RE: (ET) stainless steel

Better yes, perfect no.

There are only a few places stainless doesn't fit....

#1, Most stainless hard wear is 303 or 18/8, a non-magnetic alloy that is
about grade 3 through 5, relatively weak.  If the fastener needs better,
use something else.  18/8 is fine for most ET things, like deck and flange
bolts.  If you need stronger, 304L and 316L bolts ARE available.  They are
usually marked.  304 is over grade 8, 316 is higher, but I don't have the
specs in front of me.  The caps may also have some radial lines indicating
the grade.  316L usually are in 12 point caps, but I doubt any ET bolt
needs that sort of strength.  316 is expensive.

#2, Stainless WILL corrode in some environments; pure chlorine will leach
the nickel out and it will pit very badly.  Pure battery acid may as well,
but not quickly, and the vapor has not attacked any of my bolts in any way.

#3, Stainless will gall very badly at times when heated.  Actually, what
happens is that bolts under load deform slightly.  Stainless, being
relatively soft compared to tool steel will deform more.  When it is
heated, any oil type lubes will evaporate and the result is 'cold welding'
of two clean surfaces.  The bolts are often 'golden' colored after that
sort of heat from re-deposit of lubricants.  I have done this many times,
but not yet on an ET, probably because I use Moly-di-sulfide, a powder
lube that doesn't displace at high temperatures.  The Cable bolts may
indeed get hot enough to Gaul, especially because the lead posts will
expand at a different rate than the stainless, and the lead will flow.
Next time you run current, the connection is loose.  I use stainless lock
washers as well (these are ALWAYS 400 level or magnetic stainless, just
like your 'silver' wear) so that the connection is not 'loose' the next
time.

Larry Elie