Re: (ET) Battery questions....

On 14 Jan 2002 at 9:18, Tim Chapin wrote:

> I found a guy that is selling "Golf Cart" batteries, in sets of six for
> $150.

Twenty-five bucks each, or $150 each?

> The story is, he buys them in bulk and then resells them.
> Currently he has 21 left that are a year old but never used.  The brand
> name is Best and they are what he calls "dry cell" batteries.  Was told
> you could cut them in half and have nothing leak out of them.

Are these 6 or 12 volt?

It sounds like gel or AGM design.  A battery of that size and design
would normally sell for around $150 each.

> Questions
> Any one heard of this brand and type of battery?

Never heard of them.  If he wants $25 each, they could be from one of the
cheap Chinese battery producers.  Or they might be private-brand surplus
from one of the reputable companies.  It sounds like your seller either
doesn't know or doesn't want to tell you where they came from.

> If so are they any good?

I guess the only way to find out is to try them.

> Will
> the typical elec-trak charger charge these batteries?

If they are gel or AGM type, the ET charger will ruin them quickly.

> If they are something worth looking into, I will get back to him on the
> size.  He wasn't sure and gave me the size 15 X 7 X 7.  If that is truly
> the size, they will not fit any way.

That would be a fairly unusual size.  It roughly corresponds with group
93 size, 15" by 6 7/8" by 6 7/8".  I believe this is a starting battery
size; I don't know of any deep cycle battery used for standard
applications (golf cars, floor scrubbers, etc.) which matches that size.
Maybe they were built for some custom application and are being surplused
out.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.