Re: (ET) Electronic controller

On 9 Jan 2002 at 0:47, David Roden (Akron OH USA) wrote:

> The only cautionary note I would sound in using a controller intended for
> a PM motor is you should probably have some kind ot switching system that
> ensures that the field is always energized ~before~ voltage is applied to
> the armature, and that the field is always shut down ~after~ voltage is
> removed from the armature.  (This might not be so important with a
> compound motor, but it's still a reasonable precaution.)

And just a little while later I ran across this comment about separately
excited motors on the EV mailing list:

= + = + = + = + = + = + = + = + = + = + = + = +

... you have to be very careful in controlling a sep-ex motor, especially
at high voltage.  The motor is the inductor, but it looks like a SHORT
CIRCUIT without the field energized properly first.

Without interpoles you have to be extra careful with field weakening.
(even with interpoles you have to be careful).

If you keep the field energized to an appropriate level, this won't be a
problem.  But the gray area is how far you can field weaken without
creating a fireworks show on the commutator.

I guess this is why sep-ex has never been very popular in the EV hobbyist
community.  You really have to [know] the motors capabilities or have a
pretty good controller.  This is not real difficult, but there are very
few control vendors that offer a good sep-ex control.

The other problem is that the sep-ex control should be matched with the
motor.  This is not always the case with a series motor.  If the series
motor can handle the amps, it can handle the control. Not the case with
sep-ex.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.