Re: (ET) Speed control

On 7 Jan 2002 at 21:13, Christopher Zach wrote:

> What kind of speed control do the elec-tracs use? Variable volatge on the
> field windings? Stepped volatges off the batteries? Big hunking resistors
> (I hope not, the waste!)? Primitive pulse based throttle?

Depends on what model.

The E8/10 I believe had ~no~ speed control -- you just turn on the motor
and when you want to go you engage the clutch.  You get different speeds
by using a transmission.  This is the way my ER-36 mower is, and it's
utterly silly.  GE essentially just dropped a motor in place of the
engine on a gas rider mower, and failed to utilize the motor's great
advantages -- that it doesn't need to idle, and that it needs less in the
way of a shiftable transmission (and no reverse gear).

The E12 has 3 speeds.  The first two speeds put big nichrome ribbon
resistors in series with the armature.  This is similar to old-fashioned
resistor golf car controllers.

The E15 has 7 speeds derived similarly, but with field weakening for the
speeds above #3 or #4.

The E20 has 8 speeds and I believe it is similar to the E15, using field
weakening, though I haven't looked closely at one.  It has a foot pedal
instead of a hand lever.

There was no battery tapping for speed control (as far as I know), and
I'm pretty sure neither GE nor WH ever fitted PWM choppers to any model.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.