From: Bob Murcek [mailto:RMURCEK geisinger edu]
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 12:18 PM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: RE: (ET) different wiring

This'll sound lame, but has anyone tried using differently-sized batteries
to make up for the uneven load?  I.e., hugh ones for batts that provide
12V, a medium-sized one for the batt that's needed for 18V, and
regular-sized ones for the rest?  This would force the use of separate
chargers, though.  Or isn't it worth the effort?..Bob

>>> "Elie, Larry (L.D.)" <lelie ford com> 10/31/2001 12:03:40 PM >>>
No, unless you break the series connection before you make this parallel
connection.  If you are willing to add 2 high-current switches to break
the series connection, and another 3 to make your parallel connections.
The switches are expensive.  It could be done, but if you failed to break
even one connection, you will blow up a battery.  I'm sorry, but this
really isn't all that easy.  Bill Gunn suggests just tapping off 12V and
charging a bit longer to make up for the imbalance.  I designed a
self-equalizer based on parallel integrators that I might be able to post
after it is published (the patent will not be filed because the company
choose a more expensive charge equalizer).  This is an old problem.

Larry Elie