RE: (ET) different wiring

Isn't the lift motor a 12V electric window motor that they put 18V into to
get more lift out of it. Will it lift a snowblower if you run it on 12V?
Probably not since it barely lifts it on 18V.

My (naive) idea is to pull the charger out, put a 12V battery in (like
David suggested), a small (cheap) 4A DC-DC converter for $10, a 4.5A charge
controller for $30 (http://www.solar-electric.com/sg-4.html) to keep from
damaging the battery and run all the 12V accessories AND the lift motor
from that. Of course if the lift motor HAS to be run on 18V it makes all
this moot. Unless you found a 12V replacement for the lift motor, maybe
with more power too so lifting the snowblower would be a little more perky.

I think one list member mentioned running his lift motor on 24V, another
possibility there of running the lift on 4 batts and the 12V accessories on
the other 2.

                    "Elie, Larry (L.D.)"

                    <lelie ford com>                 To:     "'Jeremy
Gagliardi com'" <Jeremy Gagliardi com>, Elec-Trak
                    Sent by:                          <elec-trak cosmos
phy tufts edu>
                    owner-elec-trak cosmos phy       cc:

                    .tufts.edu                       Subject:     RE: (ET)
different wiring

                    10/31/01 12:03 PM

No, unless you break the series connection before you make this parallel
connection.  If you are willing to add 2 high-current switches to break the
series connection, and another 3 to make your parallel connections.  The
switches are expensive.  It could be done, but if you failed to break even
one connection, you will blow up a battery.  I'm sorry, but this really
isn't all that easy.  Bill Gunn suggests just tapping off 12V and charging
a bit longer to make up for the imbalance.  I designed a self-equalizer
based on parallel integrators that I might be able to post after it is
published (the patent will not be filed because the company choose a more
expensive charge equalizer).  This is an old problem.

Larry Elie