(ET) batteries When to replace, when to move.

Well I just had to add my two cents worth.. I use the principle of its time
to change batteries when they do not do the job expected of them. Notice I
said change not replace. I have two working ElecTrack's one 24V UPS system
and a 12v home power system. It should come as no surprise that they all
use
6 volt batteries. So if you have other uses for your aging batteries that
do
not require as great an amp hour rating you can help justify buying new
batteries for the tractor by moving the old batteries to a  lower demand
use.

So my 24 volt pack is on it's last leg. How do I know? Well they are 7
years
old, I have to water them every month, never had to do that two years ago.
Do they still keep the UPS running? Yes and the day they do not I get six
new Trojans for the E14 my highest demand load, move the six no-names to
the
E12 and move four of the E12 Trojans to the UPS. Then I get the fun of
deciding which of the remaining batteries go back to be recycled and which
ones I keep for the 12 volt system. Make sure you can read the date codes
on
your cells and put your own date on any new batteries you purchase. As you
can see I like playing with batteries!

If you do go with mixed batteries try to match them as close as you can.
Look at terminal voltage after the pack has been discharged. The one with
the lowest voltage is the weak one and should be moved to a different pack
of like cells or recycled. Steam distilled water is the only thing that you
should be watering your cells with.

 Trojan T105 here in Bloomington Indiana cost $64.00 at a golf car place.
They DO last longer. I can get Interstate and no-names for around $50.00

   Dwight

Dwight L. Hazen, Indiana University, UITS
Bloomington, In. 47408-7378 Phone 812-855-5367 hazen indiana edu
http://php.ucs.indiana.edu/~hazen/ Ham Radio wb9tlh arrl net
NetMeeting Directory server for IU ils.iu.edu