Re: Re: (ET) batteries

I'd say it would depend on your expected usage.  If the machine
will get occasional light usage, with some extended storage periods,
used batteries may work just fine for you.  If you plan on consistent
and/or heavy usage, might as well spring for the quality/longevity.

FWIW, my E16 came with couple year old no-name 6v units,
and no user manual.  I've used it typically once or twice a week
in the summer for mowing (my lot and some neighbors), twice
a week (or more) in the fall pulling a lawn sweeper, and sporadically
during the winter to push snow with the blade.  It usually sits for a
few months in the late fall and early spring.  I mentioned the lack of
manual, because I didn't know how the charger operated (the timer
is marked with letters, anyone know what the manual says about
it?), and managed to cook the batteries a few times, especially since
the multiple voltage level taps (lights, lift) had the batteries unbalanced
when I received them, and I naively thought that charging them for
a whole timer-cycle would help fix that.  One of the batteries turned
out weak enough to cause the others to hit 7.5+ while it was still at
6.9 or so... the SG readings varied quite a bit, even within one battery.
I've managed to turn the caps quite black in the first 2 of the last 4
years, I think they were coated a light grey when I acquired it.
But the way I've figured it, I've learned quite a bit about batteries
in the last few years, and as the saying goes, you typically murder
your first set of batteries.  But they've lasted 6 or so years, and
haven't failed to do the work I've asked, although that weakest one
is likely to not make it another year.

To sum up, if you're planning for lighter duty work, a reasonably
balanced used set will help you learn to take care of batteries, and
when you eventually put the new set in, you'll be less likely to murder
them.  But I'd suggest not messing around with mixed weak/strong
batteries (like I did :-( ), it will waste a lot of time.

If you go with used replacements, run some capacity tests on them
(by cycling them), and make sure you have a set that are closely
matched.  Get a few extra if possible, and return the weakest.

-Chris

ps.  We just had a 16 hour power outage, and luckily I had just
run a capacity test on the set to give them a good cycling, and
see just where they sit.  Used them to run a 1kw inverter to
supply some circuits in the house... unfortunately, it's a square-wave
inverter that ran the incandescents and some florescents just fine,
but couldn't start the (old) fridge up despite a 2kw surge rating.
I even tried some SBS60's via short interconnects with fridge plugged
directly into the inverter... no go.  Guess I'll have to get serious and
spring for the sine-wave inverter and a subpanel for critical circuits...