Re: (ET) Some basic information please.

On 5 Jun 2001, at 8:26, ThompsonG DFO-MPO GC CA wrote:

> 1.)   How long should I expect the little charger take to bring the deep
> cycle golf cart battery to charge up. 6V @ 10 amps

If it's a typical taper charger, it will start at a bit over 10 amps and
drop to around 2-4 amps (depending on how old your batteries are) at the
end of the charge.  If your batteries are typical 220 amp hour golf car
type ~and~ they're all the way dead, that charger can easily take 1 to 2
~days~ to bring them up.

2.)     After 12hrs of
> charging I am getting a little bit of bubbling (I hear it more than see
> it) and there is a small amount of acid around the filler holes from this
> bubbling (I have the caps off) is this normal.

This is gassing and it indicates that your battery is getting close to
fully charged.  It's normal.

3.)     Finally, Should I
> expect to see the fuel gauge move when I have the main power switch and
> the "ignition key in the on position. Or does the fuel gauge work all the
> time.

The gauge registers when the main power disconnect is on.

If it is registering nothing and the ET won't move or even make a
clicking sound, most likely you have a wiring problem.

Check the battery connections for tightness and corrosion.

It could also be one (or more) really useless batter(y)(ies).  Do you
have a battery that the 6-volt charger didn't even register on when you
connected it?  That would be a battery that's so far gone it looks like
an open circuit.  Either replace that battery or take it out of the
series string.  Then see if things work.

If neither of these, time to tear into the tractor looking for burnt /
dirty / loose connections, broken cables, and the like.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
1974 Honda Civic EV 96vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.