Re: (ET) Some basic information please.

Geoff,

The fuel gauge works whenever  the main disconnect is engaged. The first
thing I would do is check that switch. The original disconnect switches
are really, really bad.  Bill Gunn sells a very nice, SEALED switch that
always works. Sometimes the fuel gauges get "stuck" from sitting years,
but a voltmeter across its' terminal will verify power. Oh yes, there's
also a fusible link on the switch.. it could be vaporized!

Don

Don Barry
Infrastructure Manager, IT
Kirby Corporation
E-Mail: don barry kmtc com
Phone: 713-435-1032
Fax: 713-435-1070

>>> <ThompsonG DFO-MPO GC CA> 06/05/01 07:26AM >>>
Hi
While we're still on the topic of batteries. I have a couple of pretty
basic
questions to ask the list. I've just finished getting my E12m back
together.
I hooked up the batteries and the little guy is deader than a door nail. I
don't even get readings on the "fuel" volt meter.
Before I panic and start working through the entire wiring diagram and the
trouble shooting table in the manual. I figured I better make sure the
batteries are all charged up. At this point I have the ET charger out of
the
tractor and I and starting to charge the 6V deep cycle batteries one at a
time with a small battery charge. I set the charger to 6V and at that
setting I am charging at 10 amps (according to writing the charger).
The first question is
1.)     How long should I expect the little charger take to bring the deep
cycle golf cart battery to charge up. 6V @ 10 amps
2.)     After 12hrs of charging I am getting a little bit of bubbling (I
hear it more than see it) and there is a small amount of acid around the
filler holes from this bubbling (I have the caps off) is this normal.
3.)     Finally, Should I expect to see the fuel gauge move when I have the
main power switch and the "ignition key in the on position. Or does the
fuel
gauge work all the time.

My experience with batteries is only with 12V automobile type and I just
abuse them and then replace them when they start to be a problem.
Basically,
I know nothing.

Thanks In advance.
Geof Thompson B. Sc.