RE: (ET) Side discharge to rear discharge?

Sorry it took so long to get to this; I lost it.

I have converted one deck.  You have to change all the baffling under the
deck.  I ended up cutting all the little 1/4"-20 bolts holding the old
side-discharge baffles, and a couple of tack welds that had been added
over the years.  The new baffles fit with only a little bit of hammer
help, and a few new tack welds.  I also added a rubber deflector to the
back, which is part of the design.  I had to check blade to baffle
clearance carefully.  Parts of the baffle are not the same height.  The
side discharge guard comes off.  There is a cover that takes its place.  I
think Bill has all these parts.

Differences:

I wanted the rear-discharge mainly because you can mow close on both
sides.  That's a plus.  I thought it might take less current (not as far
to throw the grass) but it doesn't seem to.  It parks a bit easier.
However, if the grass is on the long side, the rear discharge tends to
leave a foot-wide swath of thicker clippings on center behind the unit.
If you had a grass catcher, this would be ideal, otherwise it doesn't look
all that clean.  I have been told there is a slight premium for the
rear-discharge.

Others:

I own/have owned several ET's.  Because the deck is the weak point, I have
seen several versions.  Bill confirmed that over the phone.  Early models
have a handle (looks like it came off an old wooden screen door) welded on
center to the front of the deck.  Later models dropped that.  Some have
two 1" angle braces welded at an angle front middle to back sides on top
of the deck to hold it together.  Some have a front center castor, some
don't.  If you have rough ground you might want one, if parking space is
more important that castor adds 6" to the already long length.  Some have
aluminum front side castor mounts; most are steel (two designs in steel)
and of course there were two diameters of motors.  Most of the parts fit
any deck.  Wheel Horse used a slightly different arm to hold the mower
(rubber bushings and no steel swivels) but they fit too.  I made and added
an aluminum ring on top of the center motor flange to change the harmonic
of the middle motor (I work on vibr!
ation issues on occasion at Ford) and later found out Bill has been doing
the same.  If all three motors have exactly the same mass the vibration is
in harmony.  This time you don't want harmony.  It isn't necessary unless
you have a problem.

Musings:

I don't know why GE didn't put a nylon or Teflon bushing on the strap
mount of the mower like they did on the tiller and snow-blower, and then
tie the lift back to the mount to get double the lift force like a block
and tackle.  I did add one and it works fine.  Low batteries and the mower
still comes up easily.  You don't need speed for the mower lift.

I hope I didn't leave anything out.

Larry Elie