Re: (ET) Battery Powered Push Mowers

Dennis, Dwight, et al,
At 68, I forget if I sent you the poop on my converted Lawn Boy?  A
Unitarian church(I'm a recovering liberal, myself) had this kaput old Lawn
Boy, which I tore apart and got neat junk from.  I left the wheels, and
mounted a $10 gasoline pump A.C.110v. motor on the old flat bed with only
two "L" brackets.  Onto the shaft, I clamped on an arbor and a cutting
blade.  I put a 110v. box and switch, with a (14" + or - 4") pig tail male
plug dangling. With some pius adjustment, it took off like a champ!  And
here's the best part, it's completely silent from 10' away!  Roaring
neighbors with their devilish 2cycle
environmental disasters wink at my 100' no.12 cord and the black tape
marking the splices where I learned how not to mow over the cord 6 times.
    I learned to start mowing next to the  house, and work toward the curb,
with the cord plugged into a bedroom outlet with a Ground Fault
Interrupter.
    It is a joy to behold how quiet it is, and how cheap: about 13 cents a
mow.
We have the cheapest power rates in 21 states.  Unfortunately, the big oil/
cronies lobbies keeps us in the dark ages by not allowing "NET BILLING."
    Net Billing allows an individual to erect any kind of power gathering,
such as wind, and gets to sell it back to the power company, as they do in
enlightened IOWA.  But here in the Gateway To Zip, they even fine me for
driving an electric/battery powered 1980 Plymouth hatchback, claiming that
drive on the highways(which I don') and don't pay taxes at the pump.  So
let
other enlightened California, Maryland, etc. offer tax free incentives to
drive clean electric, forget it in Nebraska!
    I hope you find your old gas mower and go quietly into the night.
(James
Joyce?)  Yes, you can plug in a reflected 110 v. troublelight bulb, and mow
when your neighbors are asleep: it's cooler too.  I recommend using heat
shrink tubing on any nicks and cuts of the 100' cord.  Blood Sweat and some
tears later, you'll have a quiet, cheap lawnmower.  Cost? Motor, cord and L
brackets, total $28.00!  You should have the GFI in your outlets anyway,
they could save a life.   paul wood III