RE:(ET) Mower motor restoration

A bit of lore for those who struggle with ailing mowing motors:

    My little elec-trak was new in the 60's, and GE was still standing
behind them.  One of my mower motors' magnets detached from the shell
and the motor en-toto quickly -even instantly- became a disaster.  I
called GE.  They sent me three new motors, said to scrap the old ones,
which I did.  The person on the GE phone said they had discovered this
fault earlier and thought they had offered retrofits to all purchasers
to that date.  They had missed me because I had purchased mine, used
once with three recharges in 8 hours, from a County Corporation Yard
that found it too light to cut 10 acres of lawn and weeds with one
charge.  I just happened to be "in the right place at the right time."
So much for memory of the "good old days."
    My little machine awaits some tender care, so I'm reading all these
comments with interest.  When I'm finished with it, about the only thing
original on and with it will be the shape, size, and steering wheel.
Wups! ...the tires are original and nary a puncture or blow-out so far.
But it will always be appreciated, and money can't buy it!

            --Waldo.
begin:vcard
n:boyd;waldo t
x-mozilla-html:TRUE