(ET) Battery Charger

After I read about the Fair Radio Battery Charger, I checked into the Fair
Radio site to take a look at the unit.  Amazingly enough it looks just
like
an antique charger that I acquired in the early '50's (It was an antique
then!).  It was called Electron Recharger and was manufactured by the King
Electric Mfg., Co., Inc. in Buffalo, NY.  The serial number is 11937.

I used it for many years (1951-1985) to resurrect and maintain 6 Volt
batteries for tractors and automobiles.  If you paid attention to what you
were doing, it worked better than any of the automatic units that were
available at the time.

After resurrecting my E-15 Elec-Trak this spring after 15 years of nonuse,
have been looking for a better charger solution than the GE unit.  I
decided
to try to make use of the Electron Recharger.  Unfortunately, the wiring
had
long ago rotted out to a point that the rectifier burned out when I
attempted
to test the unit.

When I saw the Fair Radio unit, I immediately ordered one.  I can't wait
receive it and give it a try.  How often can you go out and buy a
basically
new antique that works maybe better than the modern equivalents?  I'll let
you know the results.

Thanks to all who have contributed to the Battery Charger "Roundtable"
discussion.

Randy Parker