RE: (ET) Technical Service

I don't want to do anything that make ET support less attractive for Bill
either. But I'd guess what he wants to do is make money selling parts and
refurb tractors. Passing the "brain-drain" isn't contradictory to that
goal if it lets you sell more parts to more people. I'd like to classify
info on the "how to do's" and leave leads to Bill for the parts "to do it
with". True, publishing a service manual on the WWW may cut out that part
of his business, but I honestly don't think he's making a living on
photocopied manuals!

I called there this morning, and Bill was out. I'll try him tomorrow to
feel this out somewhat.

One of the bad things I see is a lot of confusion/lack of information on
parts. I think a lot of ET's are getting junked or parted out, just from
the lack of info on available parts and their cost. As an enthusiast in it
for the long run I want to try to improve the information flow, both to
answers and the parts.

5 ET's? Larry, you da man!!!

Don Barry

>>> "Elie, Larry (L.D.)" <lelie ford com> 01/22/01 11:54AM >>>
I talked with Bill as well the second week of January; I needed
assembly instructions for some parts... and I have had 5 ET's!
I think that IS the point; none of us know the machine and all the
options as well as Bill.  Part of this is conjecture, as I don't
know Bill that well, but I think he suspects a 'brain-drain' without
any sort of commensurate payment.  Free consultation is fine if you
expect some payment in time.  Too many people only use up his time.
Once we start thinking of publishing info that he sells (even if the
statute of limitations on the copyrights has expired) it starts
to get to him.  I for one don't want to just soak up what he has
had to spend time to learn without getting him some sort of payment.
It is one thing to 'help someone out' but another to put someone
out from further sales.  I don't mind the first but I prefer not to
do the second.  ETC may well have done the second.

Larry Elie