(ET) blown relay...

So we were trying to figure out why the reversing realay keeps getting frie
on the E12.  Looking at the blue print schematic we think (my friend is the
electrician, not me) determined that when the motor stops and the mag field
collaspes there is a surge of current that finds it way to ground thru the
relay and that there should be a diode across the armature to shunt this
surge to ground.

    I don't know anything about electric motors but as explained to me it
makes sense.  What really puzzles me though is why there isn't a diode
already there?    Or is it?  We've noticed that the schematic doesn't quite
match the real thing in several spots.

    Or is this the varistor's purpose and could my varistor be bad?

    Any other ideas what to look for?

thanks,
    dave barden