(ET) E12 motor

On my E12 the motor is a permanent magnet type, yours should be also -
so yes you can connect a voltage across the main terminals to check it.
I wouldn't use over 12 volts, that will show that it works and the
torque at start won't put it out the window.  BTW, clamp it down first.

Also, as long as you have it one the bench, yes, I'd take the top cover
off at least and check the brushes.  Don't oil the bearings, grease
them.  You can inject grease with a hypo between the seal lip and
bearing race.

Be careful and get it back together in the same orientation or you may
affect the timing.

wombat