RE: (ET) Chargers

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Barnes [mailto:barnesr nwlink com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2000 1:21 AM
To: Elec-Trak@Cosmos5. Phy. Tufts. Edu
Subject: RE: (ET) Chargers

These are good quality AC capacitors, at a fair price. GE brand. Filled
with
Dielektrol, a non PCB oil. I don't think GE would like to hear you bad
mouthing their product...

So why do you think they have such a high voltage rating (what is it 600 or
800 volts) on the original capacitor? I never measured it, but there has to
be a much lower voltage across the cap during operation of the Elec-Trak
charger. I would not expect that it gets over 120v.

If it is a MOTOR-RUN (NOT MOTOR START) it will be 'continuous duty'.  As
far
as
as voltage; one can build up high voltage (low current) static charges on
turning
belts.  GE has done a good job keeping this from happening, but I have
literally
seen people JUMP due to static charge getting off a combine (lots of belts)
and in
the days before high-carbon V-belts (belts used to be leather folks...)
standard
practice was to drag a chain in the field behind a combine so you wouldn't
catch
the field on fire.  BTW, even 800V wouldn't help in that situation; static
charge
can be tens of kilovolts.

Larry Elie