RE: (ET) sticky relays

Actually, it's 42 nominal, 45 to 48 under charge.  The choice was because
the absolute maximum without a GFI is 50V.  That I got from the head
member
of out team on the consortium.  The max droop voltage (due to lead
resistance)
that they plan is 36 v at any load.  If that's not complicated enough, it
was
originally planned with a 12/14V tap for existing devices.  Now (as of
March)
the plan is a 5V (TTL like) tap for everything under the size of the
windshield
wiper motors.  That choice was made because of pricing and packaging of
power electronics, especially FET's and IGBT's.  It turns out that a 40V+
only
system would cost MORE than a dual system because of all the little
actuators
all over our cars; coils appropriate for 42V are so fine that displacement
type
connecters (read cheap) can't be used.  The high voltage choice was for
wiring,
and because we can't wind alternators beyond 120 amp at reasonable cost.

BTW, GE has a presence on the consortium, but I have no idea why.  I have
discussed the GE ET with our head member on the consortium (on another
matter,
a patent for relay replacement) and he told me he actually asked about some
ET
characteristics at a meeting.  GE doesn't remember much about the project.

Larry Elie
Ford Research