Re: (ET) Growler

Jim and others,  I used to use a growler years ago on automotive
generators
and starters. It is pretty basic to use. There are three tests that I
remember making on it. For all tests you put the center part of the
armature
in the "V" of the growler. For the first test turn the growler on. Hold
the
little steel blade (looks like a large feeler blade) on the top of the
armature parallel to the armature shaft. Rotate the armature slowly in the
"V" and if the steel blade vibrates on the armature at any point then the
armature is shorted and needs to be replaced.

The second test tests for differences of resistance in the various
windings,
if I remember correctly. The armature is set in the growler the same as
above. There is two pronged handle (red on the ones I've used) that sets
in a
cradle. You adjust the cradle so that the two prongs touch two copper
segments on the comutator. The contact points for the two pronged handle
are
to be with the comutator segments at the 3:00 position (side). With the
growler turned on and the two pronged handle contacting two segments on
the
comutator you can take a reading on the meter (it seems to me that there
was
an adjustment knob for adjusting the reading on the meter). The initial
reading is not what is critical. What you are looking for is if each pair
of
comutator segments reads the same as each other. Otherwise the armature
needs
to be replaced.

The last test uses two single probes (one red & one black). They are
connected to continuity meter. You use them to see if the armature
windings
are shorted to ground. You use the two probes by touching one to any
copper
commutator bar. The other probe is touched to the armature shaft. If the
meter reads continuity then the armature is shorted to ground and needs to
be
replaced.  Hope this helps.

I still believe that I have a growler at school. I will make a note to
look
at it to make sure I am remembering correctly. Also, I very well may have
manual for it. If so, I would be happy to make some copies and mail them
you.    Kirk