RE: (ET) Tilling

Simple solution Darryl; use the hand-tiller accessory and a long cord.
I know it isn't heavy enough to till deep, but it is easy, and it might
be good enough for that job.

Larry Elie

<snips>

"
I'm spoiled, and I like it that way.  I don't want to face this
experience again next year, but I am not going to rebuild a fence to
get the ET into a garden patch that is only 20 times the size of the
tractor.  (It is also an irregular shape, and there would be a lot of
time spent manuevering to deal with bordering walls, hedges and
fences.

So, this seems as good a place as any to ask:
Did anyone ever build an electric, walk-behind rototiller?

I am not aware of one on the market today, but perhaps sometime
in the past some company built such a thing.  If not, has anyone
converted a gasoline walk-behind tiller to electric?  I'd rather gain
from someone else's experience if possible before taking on such a
project.

While a battery-electric unit would be OK, I'm wondering if a corded
version would be feasible.  Limited to 1500 watts (15 amp, 110-volt
circuit), operating something like a corded electric lawnmower.
Don't especially want to go to the expense of batteries for
something expected to see such limited use, but a surplus AC
motor (furnace fan motor perhaps), on a discarded tiller body might
with my collection of pulleys and belts might do the job, and justify
investing the time.  No batteries makes it easier to transport too
(lighter, can lay on its side).

Thoughts?  Leads on where to look for an existing unit?  Thanks in
advance.
"

Darryl McMahon          48 Tarquin Crescent,
Econogics, Inc.         Nepean, Ontario K2H 8J8
 It's your planet.      Voice: (613)828-0805
 If you won't look      Fax:   (613)828-3199
 after it, who will?    http://www.econogics.com/