(ET) Collector's Oddity

Chris and David both took issue with Larry's statement:

> The ET is fun but to be honest, it will
> never be more than an collectors oddity at this point in time.

As much as my ET (like most) is a working machine that has earn
its keep, I think the description of collector's oddity is fair.

These units are no longer in production - by automotive standards
they qualify as antiques.  Their original production volumes were
small compared to the gasoline-powered alternatives.  Their owners
(as evidenced by this list) tend to be very fond of their ETs and the
capabilities of their machines.  Clearly, I think that fondness is well
placed, and a real testament to the reliability, longevity and sheer
charm of these machines.  We are very fortunate to have this
network of enthusiasts and the support of Bill Gunn.  Be that as it
may, remember, GE gave up on these machines, as did New Idea
and Wheelhorse.  Today, they are hardly mainstream.  The next
running ET closest to me is 400 kilometres away.  I know of one in
Quebec, maybe a dozen in B.C. - so probably less than 20 running
ETs in all of Canada.  There are that many gasoline powered
tractors in my neighbourhood.  Several tractor owner's have seen
my ET in action now, none have asked me where they can get one.
 That is what makes them a "collectors oddity".  I don't think this
term was meant to be derogatory, or imply they are being put in
museums.

Personally, I believe electric tractors will make a comeback in the
next few years, but it won't be ETs that appear in stores and
showrooms, but some successor, maybe ETC if they can get their
prices into the reality zone, more likely someone else like ZAP (the
electric bike and motorcycle people with something built off-shore).

In the meantime, I love this list because it means more ETs are
being kept in service, or even returned to service, and that usually
means another small gasoline engine with no emission controls is
being kept out of service.  This is just one more market niche
where electric is better than gasoline, and the more electric
tractors there are seen doing the job, the better that message will
be delivered.  That is why I am trying to get that rotary brush for
mine so it will be seen at a public event, doing the job.

Darryl McMahon          48 Tarquin Crescent,
Econogics, Inc.         Nepean, Ontario K2H 8J8
 It's your planet.      Voice: (613)828-0805
 If you won't look      Fax:   (613)828-3199
 after it, who will?    http://www.econogics.com/