RE: (ET) Mower deck rollers or something else?

I too suffered from "scalp wounds" from the rear cross bar support - even
with 2 5/8" OD rollers.  I added a hard slippery surface to my worn rollers
by slitting 2" PVC pipe, forced it onto the roller, and adding a sliver of
PVC held by wood screws to fill in the gap.  ground a radius on the ends of
the PVC, and it worked OK.  Wear on the inside (shaft) is as big a problem
with reduced clearances as wear on the outside of the roller.  I think,
however, that ball bearings would have an extremely short life due to the
amount of dirt and desbris that visits the roller area.  I am thinking of
engineering a replacement bracket that would mount the ball shaped wheels
that modern decks ofetn use.  These are not true casters (no swivel), but
their very round cross section allows them a lot of sideways slippage -
probably more than the rollers.