RE: (ET) Mower deck rollers or something else?

I thought I mentioned this in a previous message, but I can't
seem to find it.  Has anyone tried shortening the 'tube' that
the bar (holding the rollers) slides into?  The 'tubes' on my
mower deck are nearly 3" long, if the deck angles only
slightly when turning, the end of the 'tube' can dig in.  I
expect new rollers will help my machine (rollers are unevenly
worn, have large (worn) inner diameters, etc), but I wonder
if anyone has tried shortening those support tubes to 2" or
less, or whatever length would keep the bar from slipping out
or fatiguing the tubes?