RE: (ET) "Mower Motor Rebuilding"

Steve wrote; (in part)

;    I have rebuilt six mower motors and so far not needed to use sealers
;anywhere.  I'd be interested to know if the need for silicone sealer is
fact
;or myth.

;Steve Naugler

Myth or no, I can't be sure.  I have rebuilt 3 motors and NOT used silicone
on
any.  My rationale?  I am the operator.  I will know if something "isn't
right"
It is hard to get the old stuff off.  The mower will be used.  The bearings
are
sealed.  I  had to clean off corrosion on the iron even WITH the silicone;

suspect moisture still got in and was in effect sealed in the motor.  If
I've
got to clean the iron with or without the silicone, I'll vote for no
silicone.
The oldest rebuild is working fine after over 4 years.

Larry Elie