RE: (ET) New to list - Q about batteries

Good questions...

-----Original Message-----
From: thollida regents edu [mailto:thollida regents edu]
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2000 8:55 AM
To: elec-trak cosmos5 phy tufts edu
Subject: (ET) New to list - Q about batteries

;Hello,

;I have an E-15 that has been battery-less for a number of years now.  I'm
weighing ;the idea of bringing this unit back to life and was looking for
;suggestions on brands of batteries, where purchased (I'm in the capital
region of ;NY), and most importantly, the $$$ outlay.  Also, The mower deck
and
;snow blower both received outdoor abuse from lack of storage space; any
suggestions ;on how I could test the motors other than connecting to an
;Elec-Trac?

;Thanks in advance for any and all help.

;Tom H.

Tom, you will get other suggestions on batteries.  You can go with 'blems'
of an
excellent battery, or with just standard 'golf-cart' batteries from your
local
"Sam's Club" or other buying club.  The latest at Sam's were $42.50 ea, but
I have
seen as low as $39 each.

Testing the deck motors can be done without batteries.  Disconnect each
motor in
turn by removing the motor connector cover.  You can leave them on the
deck.

Connect each to a 12V battery charger of at least 10 amps capacity, and
turn
on
the charger.  If the motor is 'good', it will spin, starting slow and
coming
up
to speed.  Actually, it isn't up to good speed, but it is good enough.

Testing the main motor is harder.  Bill Gunn told me that the charger can
turn the
motor under no load, but that this is hard on the charger.  My charger may
be weak,
but I could not turn an E-12 motor on the charger.  I'm not sure why not;
the charger
should put out 20 amps at 39 V or thereabout.  Even without the belt on all
I got
was hum, yet with 6 batteries, everything worked fine.

Larry Elie